2/26/2013

My Internship In United Nations World Tourism Organization. Experiencing Madrid


I'm always feeling a hunger of challenges and looking for new opportunities so once I had discovered the UNDP "Patirties Partneriai" program in Lithuania I decided - this is exactly what I need. From the very beginning I had no doubt - it will be a great experience. So I had decided to go abroad and take myself out of my comfort zone where the magical things are happening.





United Nations world Tourism Organization was my destination. It is
 a leading international organization in the field of tourism which promotes tourism as a driver of economic growth, inclusive development and environmental sustainability and offers leadership and support to the sector in advancing knowledge and tourism policies worldwide. Madrid is one of the most impressive capitals in Europe. Spain - country of colorful culture and happy people. Perfect combination for the exciting experience! 
I came there alone, had no friends, no local people I knew before in Madrid but my loneliness didn't last too long. I have realized that Spanish are very helpful and good people. Many of them were helping me to find a place to live, were showing me around, introducing me with their culture and of course always smiling and spreading the good energy.



Madrid "Puerta alcala"



My colleagues at work were international people from all over the Europe. Despite that the relations between all of them are very good and warm. From my very first day at work I could feel extremely nice atmosphere - everybody are so helpful and friendly so you can really feel like you are a part of the team. 

My internship was in Regional Europe department - unit which is responsible for the relations with the European member-states. During all the period of my internship I was doing a lot of different things. They were really trying to make some interesting tasks for me and making the best learning conditions. Of course everything was new to me and sometimes complicated but I could always ask and receive help or advise from any of the team member. Organizing conferences, meetings other events, making researches about European countries economy and tourism, making proposals for new projects - all of this were my everyday work. In addition to that I was helping them to communicate with Lithuanian Tourism department so I was like a Lithuanian ambassador in the World Tourism Organization. During such a short time - just 3 months I gained a lot of knowledge, improved many skills, discovered new abilities. But the most important – I really felt like a real member of the Regional program for Europe and the whole World Tourism Organization.

Despite the official work I was actively involved in all the other activities of the of the World Tourism Organization. I was representing Regional Europe department in several official receptions (diplomatic events in embassies) and some other events. During the Christmas evening organized by UNWTO, I was helping to Santa Claus and acting in the performance for children. In the end of December I was participating in the formal Christmas party for all UNWTO staff which had finalized my internship in Madrid.



Christmas evening for children in UNWTO


 Talking about the city – Madrid is fabulous! Here you can really see a lot of unique traditions, taste amazing meal and local wine, explore the real Spanish culture. Every region of Spain is different but you can really see that Madrid is a heart of the country. What is more it is quite easy to travel around – there a lot of nice small cities around Madrid which are worth to see! And of course, the weather is great in Spain, first time in my life I could skip half of the winter! Most of the time the sun is shining so you can really understand why people are happier there.


Valencia

Segovia



To sum up, I would like to say A BIG THANK for this amazing opportunity to explore new country, to get valuable experience, get new friends and discover more things about myself. For those who still have a doubt – don’t waste your time and get out of your comfort zone – believe me – amazing things are happening there!

 Viktorija AniulytÄ—

6 comments:

  1. I would love to make the internship UNWTO! I can't find contact data or proper person where i can apply for such internship. Can you be so nice and help me ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Blog! For students who choose a Erasmus, choose Madrid for sure! A great city for students. Need more information about Madrid or you already know that you are going to Madrid and looking for a room? Visit our website again. www.madrideasy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My self bandu kempawade from India .I don't know how to contact this organization please can one help me get full ideas of this internship for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. My self bandu kempawade from India .I don't know how to contact this organization please can one help me get full ideas of this internship for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Viktorija,
    My name is Lucia, and I just graduated from the University of Miami. I know it has been a while since you posted this, but I would love to hear more about your experience! I am also applying the a UNWTO internship in Madrid, and want to hear more about the amazing things you wrote about. My email is lma66@miami.edu.

    Best,
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete