4/12/2013

Ieva Pratašiūtė. Global Initiative on Psychiatry (GIP), Sofia- Bulgaria

,,You're simply the best, better than all the rest 
  Better than anyone, anyone I've ever met “

         These lyrics come to my mind when I think about the Partners 4 Value Program. I am very grateful to this program for an opportunity to explore the field of clinical psychology in Bulgaria.

Organization
 Last summer I did an internship at Global Initiative on Psychiatry (GIP) in the capital of Bulgaria. GIP - Lithuania, being a part of the GIP, inspired me to perform my internship abroad.
Global Initiative on Psychiatry (GIP) is an international non-profit organisation for the promotion of humane, ethical and effective mental health care worldwide. The Federation Global Initiative on Psychiatry has members in Bulgaria, George, The Nederland, the United Kingdom, the United States and Lithuania as well.
          GIP-Sofia, being a part of the GIP federation, on one hand, tries to improve the life quality of people, afflicted by severe mental illnesses. On the other hand, it tries to decrease the usual risks, related to mental illnesses, such as institutionalisation, isolation, segregation, stigmatisation, marginalisation, profound disability and worsened social functioning.  
GIP has been awarded two prestigious prizes for its efforts: The Human Rights Award from the American Psychiatric Association and the 2000 Geneva Prize for Human Rights in Psychiatry. For more information, visit: http://www.gip-global.org/

A short glimpse of my daily work

During the first part of my internship I worked in the Complex for community- based mental health services (day care centre and sheltered home for persons with severe mental illnesses). In the beginning of my internship the psychologists and social workers helped me to get more familiar with the place, working conditions, tried to expand my knowledge of mental disorders. Soon I started to communicate with the clients of day care centre and people from sheltered home, who could speak English. I participated in various activities they had, such as: art therapy, photography, learning English, cooking clubs or knitting, dance lessons and so on.  They even had a lesson, where people with mental disorders are introduced with the medicine they have to consume. It was really interesting to observe the behaviour and thinking of people with mental disorders and get direct comments from experts of mental health team. If you are active and enthusiastic you can ask your colleagues to let you organise some activities, for instance: to make traditional Lithuanian food during cooking club classes or something unique in other workshops.  
During the second part of my internship I worked in the Informational Centre for Mental Health of GIP- Sofia, based in the next city of Bulgaria (Blagoevgrad). I worked with volunteers in developing HIV/ AIDS and Tuberculosis prevention campaigns. I learned how to design and organise antistigma campaigns.
I also worked in the central administrative office of the organisation as an assistant of the Project manager. I had been involved in developing and reporting projects in the area of mental health and development education, public awareness campaigns.


Challenge

It would be great if I could speak Russian or Bulgarian, because not all patients of day care centre or sheltered home could speak English. That made some difficulties for professional aspect as communication with them was limited. My colleagues spent as much time as possible with translation issues, but certainly I missed some valuable information anyway. Psychiatry is the sphere where you have to put active listening with empathy. So language barrier is an obvious obstacle.  

Bulgaria: living and prices

Bulgaria is a beautiful country, filled to the brim with culture and history. The country is distinguished for its beautiful nature which has charmed everyone, who has ever visited the country. Its territory is not that extensive at all, but being concentrated on such tiny space, natural landmarks are even more fascinating.
 I had a great opportunity to travel all across the country due to my kind co-workers, who invited me to visit their home towns. I really appreciate everything they did for me. I fell in love with the country: its traditions, cuisine and smiling faces.
From financial perspective Bulgaria is a great place because of low living expenses. The prices are more or less the same as in Lithuania. 
Talking about accommodation, my co-workers helped me a lot to get a living place (dormitory). They even took me directly from Sofia airport and made me an introduction evening, where I got all the basic survival information. I didn’t expect such an effortless adaptation process.




Partners 4 value or Erasmus program?

While Partners 4 Value and Erasmus Programs are similar in many ways, there are also some differences of which you should be aware. Firstly, Partners 4 Value Program suggests a reliable and diverse platform, while searching for a perspective internship place in Erasmus program could be frustrating. 

Summary

“Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can, there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.” ( Sarah Caldwell).

The internship met all my expectations, because I knew what I was looking for as well as I figured out a lot about organization’s profile and its activities. It was an excellent way to get an inside glimpse of a GIP organization. Each member of GIP helped me grow both professionally and personally by sharing new perspectives, knowledge and friendship.
,,Per aspera ad astra”,

Contact infomation:

1 comment:

  1. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy.
    Hoodies

    ReplyDelete